Tourism is a big industry for the city, with a current population of more than 2.5 million people. With 70,000 to 80,000 new immigrants each year, it seems Toronto is a city many people would like to call home.
Even those who have lived in the GTA for many years may not realize some things about their hometown. Here's some Toronto tidbits you may find interesting:
- Toronto has more nationally and internationally top-ranked companies than any other Canadian city
- One quarter of Canada's population lives within a 100-mile radius of Toronto
- One half of the population of the United States is within one day's drive of Toronto
- The city is Canada's largest retail market
- Toronto is one of North America's best positioned cities to compete internationally in the 21st century
- There are over 100 languages spoken throughout the city
- Over 50 per cent of the city's labour force has a university degree or college diploma
- Toronto has the 5th largest municipal government in North America
- Not only is Toronto commonly referred to as "Hollywood North", but also "Silicon Valley North" because it is home to seven of the top ten information technology firms in Canada.
- Toronto is Canada's number one tourist destination
- In order to accommodate the increasing number of passengers expected to travel through the airport, the GTAA is currently implementing a $4.4 billion redevelopment program
For those beginning their travels here in Toronto, the GTAA welcomes you. For those flying home, we hope you enjoyed all the great things this city has to offer. We hope to see you again!
Attractions Ontario: www.attractions.on.ca/
Click here for a downloadable map of Toronto (PDF Document)